Crossing the Line: A Paris Homicide Mystery - Frédérique Molay, Anne Trager

Med school students sometimes play inappropriate pranks, but when a note shows up hidden in the tooth of a severed head, nobody's laughing, and it's Police Chief Nico Sirsky's job to find out whether this is a poor excuse for a practical joke or if something more sinister is afoot and who's pulling the strings.

Sirsky has to find a way to balance a problematic ex-wife with a new girlfriend and his demanding job on the force, not to mention the pressures of always having to make the higher ups look good in the press.

Sirsky's a tough guy with a tender heart, and there's a bit of romance in the mix. Twists in the plot kept me interested and guessing till pretty near the end though looking back, the clues were there; I just didn't put them together quickly enough.

Sometimes people do the wrong things for the right reasons, and the fine line between genius and madness isn't always as clear as it should be, especially when emotions take control of our thinking. Fear can be a terrible task master, indeed.

My thanks to the publisher for a review copy, the receipt of which had no influence on my review.