The Revenant of Thraxton Hall: The Paranormal Casebooks of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - Vaughn Entwistle

I'm a Sherlockian from back in the day. Though I don't always love the pastiches, in this one Holmes is not the protagonist--Arthur Conan Doyle is--and the whole thing really works. It was fun to see Doyle being upbraided by his creation. On top of that, having Oscar Wilde along for the ride, quipping the entire way, made this one pure literary gold for me. I actually did laugh aloud and oftentimes forgot I was reading a book because I was watching the action in my imagination. I appreciate the author's inclusion of other literary and historical figures, including J. M. Barrie, Frank Podmore and Daniel Dunglas Hume in the text. While I may not approve of Doyle's near obsession with Hope Thraxton while his own wife lay deathly ill from tuberculosis, I can see where this might make the character seem all the more human. I thoroughly enjoyed this book; the characters, the comedy, the mystery, and the suspense all work for me. I appreciate the publisher for giving me a chance to examine this title.