Stepping on My Brother's Head and Other Secrets Your English Professor Never Told You: A College Reader - Sondra Perl
It's hard to rate an anthology since different pieces earn different ratings, and this was no exception. I rated individual entries in here with everything from from one star to five, but I'll give the book a 4-star rating overall because I really like the ones I really liked, and I only rated one essay in the collection as one-star. It's a collection of personal essays that could be useful when teaching high school or college students about voice, tone, and purpose, though obviously some of the essays would be more or less useful than others.

I enjoyed Lad Tobin's "Sneaking into the Movies," the narrative of of Tobin's committing "the perfect crime," a full grown adult paying for one movie and sneaking into 4 others--intriguing in its own ridiculousness.

Bruce Ballinger's "Theories of Intelligence" especially resonated with me. I don't think it's a spoiler to say that, while he never thinks himself a genius, he finally gets comfortable with his own brain and realizes that he's been "smart enough" all along. I think my gifted students would really appreciate this essay, as would anyone who's ever struggled with not feeling smart enough. Who hasn't felt stupid at least once in comparison to others?

Sondra Perl's "Revealing Secrets, Writing Poems" is another 5-star essay in this collection. In it, Perl shares some of her personal poetry, written over the years in response to various situations, including her refusal to get a nose job despite her father's cajoling, discovering her mother-in-law's .22 revolver, and her difficulty acclimating to her husband's sudden commitment to Orthodox Judaism.