The Dressmaker of Khair Khana: Five Sisters, One Remarkable Family, and the Woman Who Risked Everything to Keep Them Safe - Gayle Tzemach Lemmon

This was a fast, informative read about a young woman named Kamila who started a sewing business, bringing desperately needed income to her own family and several others', all the while adhering fairly well to sharia law under the watchful eyes of the Taliban. The book tells Kamila's story in a straight-forward, chronological narrative and could be enjoyed by people who might not always like to read nonfiction.

The only question I have is why a photograph at the back of the book clearly shows Kamila shaking hands with then Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, but Rice is not identified. That seems rather strange to me. I also felt at times as though the most heinous aspects of the Taliban were left out. For example, the young women working for Kamila are instructed not to wear nail polish because the Taliban can see it, even under the chadri the women were forced to wear; the part that's left out is that if the Taliban catches those women with nail polish, they'll cut the women's fingers off, or give them a sound thrashing at the very least.

At any rate, Kamila's story is inspiring and just goes to show what a young woman with wisdom and courage can accomplish even in the most un-ideal circumstances.