Daughters of the Dragon: A Comfort Woman's Story - William Andrews

Twenty years ago, Anna was born in Korea and adopted by an American couple. Upon the death of her adoptive mother, Anna travels to Korea to meet her birth mother. Instead, she meets her maternal grandmother, who tells Anna her own difficult story as well as the story of Anna's birth mother's life and death.

When the book starts, Anna is the narrator, and she speaks to the audience in a young, conversational tone. Then the flashback begins, and the past is revealed through Anna's grandmother's voice, which gives the writing a smoother, more formal tone that made it easier for me to lose myself in the story.

This isn't a book for the faint of heart. These girls were called "comfort women"--a euphemism for sex slaves, and they suffered horribly at the hands of their captors. I felt my stomach knot up at times, and I wanted to reach into the book and pull them out of their pain. However, I do think the author was a bit heavy-handed at times when it just wasn't necessary to be that detailed. Truly, though, it's amazing how cruel humans can be, but also what humans can survive, as well.

At any rate, if you're looking for a book that's going to make you feel strong emotions, Daughters of the Dragon definitely will. This is a terrible piece of history being repeated right now in lands under ISIS control, and as hard as it to read about, it must be unimaginable to survive. Rape is still a weapon of war. I guess, no matter how terrible they are, some things never change.

(ARC, views my own)